Should You Move to an Assisted Living Community?
Moving to an assisted living community is a highly personal decision that is based on many different factors, all of which are unique to the individual who is considering the move, as well as their families. Assisted living communities are designed for older adults who value an independent, social lifestyle but who require assistance with daily activities, such as grooming, dressing, or eating.
If you are wondering if, or when, you should relocate to an assisted living community, or if your senior loved one is contemplating the move, the following information can help you determine what the best choice is for you.
Moving to Assisted Living: The Benefits
First, begin by determining all the ways that moving to an assisted living community will benefit you and list them. If you are doing this for a parent or senior loved one, try creating a list over a period of a few visits. You may also want to consult with siblings or other relatives to help.
Some points to consider for yourself or your aging loved one include:
- Is it becoming difficult to move around your house safely?
- Are you forgetting to eat meals regularly?
- Is having to make a decision becoming a burden?
- Do you no longer feel safe driving a vehicle?
- Have you fallen behind on bills or other financial obligations?
- Is it a struggle to keep your house and yard maintained?
- Is showering or bathing sometimes too difficult to manage?
- If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, it may be time to consider senior living.
Moving to Assisted Living: Your Preferences
It’s also a good idea to create a list of needs and preferences. It’s not always possible to find a community that matches perfectly with all of your wants and needs, so consider prioritizing the list. Again, if you are doing this for a parent or senior loved one, try creating the list over a period of a few visits, and consult with siblings or other relatives as necessary for help.
Some questions to consider when deciding to move to an assisted living community include:
- How important is it to be near friends or family members?
- Is a small, intimate community preferred, or something on a larger scale?
- Will any personal care services be needed?
- Does the community offer activities and amenities that are of interest?
- Do you want a community that offers a comprehensive range of services that can address additional needs in the future, so that you can avoid another move later on, if need be?
When assisted living is needed, communities like Grand Oaks of Okeechobee offer private suites and provides help with household chores, cooking, care coordination, and transportation to scheduled doctor visits, retail stores, and off-site events. We also have 24-hour care available, and a schedule of enriching activities from which residents can choose each day, as well as a complete dining program.
The decision to move to an assisted living community requires a lot of forethought. We can help answer any questions you may have. Call us at 863-824-6770.