Assisted Living Checklist: Helping You Prepare for the Move
After your senior loved one has made the decision to move to an assisted living community like Grand Oaks of Okeechobee, you may find that you are both a bit overwhelmed by the moving process. You may be thinking, “Where should we begin? What should we pack? How do we know what not to take?” These are all common questions that can be answered by having an assisted living checklist.
Because relocating to a senior living community oftentimes means there is a considerable amount of downsizing involved, an assisted living checklist can also help you and your loved one stay organized and focused on the most important details of their new transition.
Assisted Living Checklist: Before Moving Day
Be sure to ask for the floor plan and dimensions of the assisted living apartment that your loved one will be living in. It’s much easier to know what items to move when you know how much space you have to work with. It’s also important to allocate space for some of your senior loved one’s favorite pieces of furniture and treasured personal items. Having an assisted living checklist can help you make smarter decisions about what to bring for the move.
Assisted Living Checklist: Home Furnishings
Generally speaking, you should plan on bringing the following home furnishings to the assisted living community. It’s important to make their new place as “home-like” as possible, but keep in mind that space is limited:
- Sofa or couch, chairs, end tables, and nightstands
- Dishes, glasses, and cutlery
- Comforter, sheets, pillows, and throw pillows
- Extra blanket or quilt
- Keepsakes and knick-knacks
- Framed pictures, photos, and artwork
- Virtual assistant, like Alexa or Siri
Assisted Living Checklist: Don’t Forget the Necessities
Some necessities can be provided by the senior living community, so be sure to check what options are already available. At Grand Oaks of Okeechobee, all apartments come with a kitchenette, so you won’t have to worry about appliances like microwaves or mini-fridges. Necessities that you will want to pack include:
- An alarm clock, TV, radio, smartphone, or laptop
- Eyeglasses, hearing aids, walkers, or canes
- Clothes hangers
- Coffee maker
- Disinfectant wipes for quick and easy clean-ups
- Favorite books and magazines
- Comfortable clothes, a few formal outfits, pajamas, robe, socks, shoes, slippers, and a jacket or warm coat
- List of prescriptions and over-the-counter medications
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Soap and shampoo
- Lotion, razors, or make-up
Relocating to a senior living community can be a difficult process, but having an assisted living checklist can help take away the confusion and help you and your senior loved one feel confident about their new future.
To schedule a tour of Grand Oaks of Okeechobee, contact us today at 863-692-7222!